December 4, 2011

Tim Tags Day 4



As lovely as this tag turned out I still had issues I had to work around for mine. Do you ever wish you had Tim looking over your shoulder? Giving you pointers when you utterly fail? LOL This was that time for me! I had so many issues . Namely stamping with distress stains! I tried both acrylic and rubber stamps, lightly sanded them as well. neither would create a usable image. What am I doing wrong??? I ended up using white paint for the flourish and the weathered wood ink pad for the flakes instead. I didn't have tumbled glass stain so I used broken china and added a bit of water. really not a good substitute as the colors were quite dark so keep that in mind.

also if you have problems with the "wonder tape" (aka red liner tape) sticking to the tag over the distress ink, try using score tape instead. that was the only option I could find that would actually stick.

Tip: Do NOT store a pin in your glossy accents tip like has been suggested. ;) I had a *good* stainless steel pin (labeled as such even) in mine. you can see where the glossy accents ate through the finish turning my new bottle of glossy accents into a sepia-rust toned color. :( It will work to glue things down but not for this task. had to use the matte accents instead. (I should have known. I had it happen with another glue but figured I'd give it a shot since it has been mentioned a few times.)

When Tim says apply a generous amount of crackle medium, that part is important. on the left side of my snowman's chest you can see a white spot. that is where I didn't get enough crackle medium. ;) really slop it on there thick! I work fairly fast and it was still mostly dry to use in time for the next step requiring that diecut(I just hit it at the end with a heat gun to dry any super thick blobs here and there)

I'm taking bets that they next tag will be bright red or at least very colorful. 3 of the 4 have been mostly blue. (and the reason I added a pretty Luminarte painted heart to his chest)


* yeah I just noticed that pearl sticking to the side of the button. LOL I have no idea how that got on there. Kindly ignore it please. :)

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful tag. This is my favorite so far that Tim has done. Your's is equally as beautiful as his. luv the addition of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What problems??!! You are crazy-this tag is BEAUTIFUL! Your technique & style worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happened upon your blog through the inlinkz with Tim's blog...I'm so glad I did. I love your tag especially the addition of the heart on the snowman! Keep up the beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely. I had trouble stamping with the stains too, so it's not just you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the tag!!!! I love seeing everyone's versions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!
    Love the little heart ♥
    Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your darker background looks like a snowy night...where the sky is dark but still "white". I like the gold embellies you added as well! Turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tag...So soft and icy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful take on Tim's tag...love the little heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Tag. S x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it... the heart looks great and so does the pearl. Love Cynthia x

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...i totally love your take on todays tag...especially the cute little heart...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out beautifully despite the challenges. According to Tim, clean the nozzle of the Glossy Accents by giving the bottle a smack on the table just once before putting the lid on. Only once, as a second thump will put it back into the nozzle. Haven't tried it myself as I am using another brand, shhh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this one turned out perfectly! And yeah, I did that pin thing a few years ago so I learned my lesson. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG ...these are amazing ,,,you sooo rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect! What brilliant crackle you got on your snowman! Good for you trying to do everything right. I ended up stamping in versamark and embossing with white detail powder for my swirl and I gave up on the crackle accents totally. You've made a brilliant tag. Well done!

    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your take on todays Tag, looks amazing and I adore the little heart! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, Heidi! I actually like the darker color from your "sepia" Glossy Accents! And yep...I learned the pin lesson a few years ago myself. But on the upside, I can never find a sepia accents formula that I like, and you've just made your own, so call it done. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous tag - and the pearl apparently wanted to join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought you might like this little tidbit of knowledge. Every day since day one, I quickly scan over all the thumbnails and pick out the one tag that catches my eye. Day 1-yours, Day 2, again yours, Day 3-the same, so I wasn't even surprised when I ended up here on day 4. Your tags are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous tag!!Even though you had issues, it turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. the feather is just... well the feather in his cap!!! lovely take... and i love the colours, makes me think of a cold night. Wondrous

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...